Friday, April 23, 2021

Wow’d by Orange Tulips in the Smithsonian’s Ripley Garden

This week I cycled around downtown Washington and stopped to see my favorite garden there – the Smithsonian’s Ripley Garden, created and maintained by Janet Draper. (Janet’s profiled and mentioned several times here on the  Rant.)

There I was gobsmacked and inspired by Janet’s use of orange tulips, which she wrote to tell me are ‘Strong Gold,’ the double ‘Orca,’ and lily-flowered ‘Moonblush’. She then paired them with mustard ‘Red Giant,’ pansies, parsley and cherianthus. Wowzer!

They’re at the entrance, drawing in visitors, and repeated inside the serpentine garden.

A close-up of the red giant mustard and friends.

My Journey to Orange

For some long-forgotten reason, I’ve always avoided using orange in my gardens, preferring the more restrained blues, purples and light yellows. But then someone suggested I add some Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa) to this commercial landscape I adopted and it’s turned me into a fan of orange and of this plant, which I’ve added to my own garden now.

Then I surprised myself by buying some orange marigolds this week – another plant I’d snobbishly avoided all my life.  

Orange looks SO fabulous with purples, blues, and chartreuse; is there anything it doesn’t go with?

Here’s a closer-up look demonstrating Butterfly Weed’s awesome powers as a Monarch magnet. It’s shown here with Nepeta and ‘Ogon’ spirea. Nearby are a Ninebark shrub and lots of purple coneflowers.

Circling back to the Ripley Garden, I was also struck by the lushness of this Deutzia ‘Chardonnay Pearls.’ In the background you can see Janet answering a visitor’s questions, something she seems to do all day long, happily.

Wow’d by Orange Tulips in the Smithsonian’s Ripley Garden originally appeared on GardenRant on April 23, 2021.

The post Wow’d by Orange Tulips in the Smithsonian’s Ripley Garden appeared first on GardenRant.

Via Gardening http://www.rssmix.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment