Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Seasonal distractions

A screenshot from a facebook post (don’t click on the +3)

Usually, at this time of year, my social feeds are filled with cries of “Too soon!, too soon!” Not this month. Instead, I am seeing houses getting decked out for Christmas before Thanksgiving is past and inquiries about where to get live potted trees. People are embracing the season before it even begins. Why? Because it’s a way to bring light and color into our domestic environments at a time when we can’t bring people or go where people are. That’s what I think, anyway.

The only thing that’s keeping me from gathering my garden-related holiday décor (branches, berries, seasonal plants) is that my favorite nurseries don’t have it yet. But they will by this weekend. In the meantime, I’m thinking about lights and I’ve already filled the house (those parts of it amenable to supporting plant material) with potted bulbs. About fifty of them, between tazettas and amaryllis. Another couple hundred sit in the root cellar and many will be ready to bring up by late December. Some of those will bloom by late January, with the rest opening up through February and March. I am going to need those flowers.

I am thankful for bulbs this week.

Seasonal distractions originally appeared on GardenRant on November 24, 2020.

The post Seasonal distractions appeared first on GardenRant.

Via Gardening http://www.rssmix.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment